Saturday, April 6, 2013

I write, so I would have something to read.



I write things that need to be written,

but
sometimes
friends ask me
for writing
pointers,

with trust.

as if I knew
what I am doing.

tell you the truth –
I don’t,

I never knew,
but that
don’t stop
me
anymore.

when years ago I tried,
I filled my notebook
pages up with rhymes,
a lot of pages
of a lot of notebooks,
and said
nothing,

till I stopped trying.

I often lay awake
at night,
thinking of things
that
will forever keep me
guessing
but, I'm never sure
just how much of it
is
poetry,
and how
much
bullshit.

there’re rules, you see,
a general agreement
on how
words should
be
arranged
to be called
poetry.
how long should verses be,
where should they rhyme,
what should the message be,
the moral
feeling
flow.
there are names for
different techniques

such as
'hexameter'
and

'pentameter'.

whatever happened to the weird and reckless?

the bottom line –
it’s science,
structure.

and I fuckin’ hate
structure.

it’s
breathless.

I always found it hard
to rhyme and stay
authentic.
the difference is –

now I don’t give a shit.

a poem’s what I say a poem is.

1 comment: