Friday, July 19, 2013

we were never good friends to begin with



in 2004
she wrote
K.I.T.
and the phone number
in my yearbook
as if digits last longer.

in 2004
he wrote
“See ya tomorrow, dude!”
in my yearbook
as if that’s really going to happen.

in 2013
at the supermarket
she’s holding the leash,
and he’s pushing the stroller.
they’re shopping for groceries,
expanding family life.
I’m buying a six-pack and some pasta.

“Hey, you!”

“Hey guys!”

“It’s been a while.”

“It surely has. . .”

“How are you?”

“I’m good.”

“Yeah?”

“Yeah.”

“Listen! We’re planning a barbecue, a get together. A few people from school. You should come.”

“Maybe, yeah.”

“We’ll send you the info.”

“Alright, keep me posted.”

“Okay.”

we part.

weeks pass and I don’t hear from them...

what else is new?

No comments:

Post a Comment